Andrei N. Artizov – Doctor of Historical Sciences, Head of the Federal Archival Agency, State Class Councilor of the Russian Federation. Moscow, Sofiyskaya nab., 34, building 1, 115035. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The author addresses the problem of the role and place of archives in the process of political identity formation, including in the field of “politics of memory.” The article draws attention to the fact that the prevailing notions about archives imply a static understanding of the role and functioning of archives. Instead, the author challenges those assumptions and suggests examining the archives as part of a wide network of institutions of public diplomacy, which forge and nurture mutual understanding and cooperation in the humanitarian sphere. To confirm the stated thesis, the article refers to the joint activities and activities of Russian archives in the framework of Russian-Czech relations, examines in detail the questions of historical memory and complex historical issues in the history of Russian-Czech relations. The article analyzes the current state of the archives on Soviet-Czech relations, the trends in the declassification of archival materials. Particular attention is given to the reflection of bilateral relations in archival documents in 1918, 1938 and 1968. The author concludes that the declassification of documents on problematic issues of bilateral relations does not lead to an automatic improvement of mutual understanding, since the parties may have conflicting interpretations of the same documents.
Key words: openness of archives, archival studies, declassification of archives, a collection of archival documents, Russian-Checz relations.
1. Borishpolets K.P. Resursy publichnoi diplomatii Soiuznogo Gosudarstva Rossii i Belarusi [Public diplomacy resources of Allied State of Russia and Belarus]. MGIMO Review of International Relations, 2017, no. 3 (54), pp. 224-237 (in Russian).
2. Velikaia A.A. Publichnaia diplomatiia kak instrument mezhdunarodnogo dialoga [Public diplomacy as instrument of international dialog]. Mezhdunarodnaia zhizn’, 2016, no. 2, pp. 154-164 (in Russian).
3. Dolinskii A.V. Diskurs o publichnoi diplomatii [Discourse on public diplomacy]. International Trends, 2011, vol. 9, no. 25, pp. 63-73 (in Russian).
4. Medvedeva O.V. Pravovaia i normativno-metodicheskaia baza arkhivnogo dela v Rossii [Legal and normative methodological foundations of archive service in Russia]. Sotsial’no-ekonomicheskie iavleniia i protsessy [Social and economic phenomena and processes], 2014, no. 1 (59), pp. 143-148 (in Russian).
5. Smirnov N.A. Publichnaia diplomatiia: evoliutsiia kontsepta v politicheskoi nauke [Public diplomacy: evolution of concept in political science]. Vestnik Moskovskogo universiteta. Seriia 12: Politicheskie nauki - Herald of Moscow state university. Political Science, 2015, no. 1, pp. 78-89 (in Russian).
6. Fuko M. Arkheologiya znaniya [Archeology of knowledge]. St. Petersburg, Gumanitarnaya akademiya, Universitetskaya kniga Publ., 2004. 416 p. (in Russian).
7. Tsvetkov A.Yu. Publichnaya diplomatiya kak resurs vneshney politiki: problema effektivnosti [Public diplomacy as a resource of foreign policy and its effectiveness]. Vestnik Sankt-Peterburgskogo universiteta. Seriya 6. Filosofiya. Kulturologiya. Politologiya. Pravo. Mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya - Herald of Sanct Petersburg University. Philosophy, Cultural Studies, Political Science, International Relations, 2010, no. 3, pp. 110-116 (in Russian).
8. Blouinjr F.X. Archivists, Mediation, and Constructs of Social Memory. Аrchival Issues, 1999, vol. 24, no. 2. рр. 101-112.
9. Brothman B. Orders of Value: Probing the Theoretical Terms of Archival Practice. Archivaria, 1991, no. 32, рр. 78-100.
10. Brown R.H., Davis-Brown R. The making of memory: the politics of archives, libraries and museums in the construction of national consciousness. History of the Human Sciences, 1998, vol. 11, no. 4, рр. 17-32.
11. Cook T. Archival Science and Postmodernism: New Formulations for Old Concepts. Archival Science, 2000, vol. 1, no. 1, pр. 3-24.
12. Derrida J. Archive Fever. The Freudian Impression. Chicago-London: The University of Chicago Press, 1996. 128 p.
13. Ketelaar E. Archives as spaces of memory. Journal of the Society of Archivists, 2008, no. 29 (1), рр. 9-27.
14. Lubar S. Information Culture and the Archival Record. American Archivist, 1999, no. 62 (1), рр. 101-112.
15. Nesmith T. Seeing Archives: Postmodernism and the Changing Intellectual Place of Archives. The American Archivist, 2002, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 24-41.