The article deals with the development of industrial policy in the Russian Federation in the coming years. The subject matter is the key challenges for the industrial development of Russia on the time horizon of 2018-2030, the risks and conditions for the Russian industrial policy and for its possible strategic alternatives. The research methodology is based on structuring the factors that shape the state industrial policy and bringing them into line with the existing or prospective elements of the policy. For the prospective industrial policy, I consider the emerging approaches in state authorities and the expert community. The main results include the following. The global risks of strengthening sanctions are the most important factors to consider during the implementation of industrial policy in Russia. Among the possible strategic policy alternatives, it is expedient to implement an intermediate variant between «the basis of economic development and the key source of budget revenues» and «the means of diversifying the risks of the Russian economy». It involves concentration of resources on building long-term global competitive positions. Achieving this aim in terms of export volume requires constant high growth rates of industrial production – at least 4.2% per year. The industrial policy should be concentrated on several key directions (technological policy, investment, foreign trade, etc.) with a general exportoriented approach. For each of the directions, updating of both strategic planning documents and a set of industrial policy instruments will be required in the next 1-2 years. With the 3-5 years duration period of most investment projects in industrial sector, the roadmap for implementing a new model of industrial policy should be updated by the end of 2018. This timeframe limits or forbids the development and use of tools that require substantial changes in legal regulation.
Key words: industrial policy, export, import substitution, strategic planning
1. Vorobeva I.G., Valieva A.Yu. Vliyanie sanktsiy na promyshlennuyu politiku i investitsionnyy klimat Rossii [The influence of sanctions on industrial policy and the investment climate in Russia]. Innovatsionnye tekhnologii v mashinostroenii, obrazovanii i ekonomike, 2018, no. 1-2 (7), pp. 38-40 (in Russian).
2. Demina Ye.S. Gosudarstvennaya promyshlennaya politika [State industrial policy]. Ekonomicheskaya bezopasnost: pravovye, ekonomicheskie, ekologicheskie aspekty [Economic security: legal, economic, environmental aspects]. Kursk, Universitetskaya kniga Publ., 2017, pp. 102-105 (in Russian).
3. Manturov D.V. Evolyutsiya podkhodov k gosudarstvennomu upravleniyu promyshlennostyu v period s 1995 po 2015 god [Evolution of Approaches to the State Administration of Industry in the Period from 1995 to 2015]. Ekonomicheskoe razvitie v Rossii, 2017, no. 1, pp. 40-48 (in Russian).
4. Orekhova S.V. Novaya promyshlennaya politika v usloviyakh razvitiya tekhnologicheskikh platform [New industrial policy in the conditions of development of technological platforms]. Materialy IV vserossiyskogo simpoziuma po regionalnoy ekonomike [Proc. of the IV AllRussian Symp. on Regional Economics]. Yekaterinburg, Institut ekonomiki Uralskogo otdeleniya RAN Publ., 2017, pp. 78-83 (in Russian).
5. Orekhova S.V. Tekhnologicheskie platformy i novaya promyshlennaya politika v Rossii [Technological platforms and new industrial policy in Russia]. Journal Of Economic Regulation, 2007, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 6-19 (in Russian).
6. Polyakova V.A. Printsipy upravleniya promyshlennoy politikoy [The principals of management of industrial policy]. Tsifrovaya ekonomika i «Industriya 4.0»: problemy i perspektivy trudy nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii s mezhdunarodnym uchastiem [Digital Economy and Industry 4.0: Problems and Prospects. Proc. of the Scientific Conference with International Participation], 2017, pp. 202-206 (in Russian).
7. Promyshlennaya politika v tsifrovoy ekonomike: problemy i perspektivy [Industrial policy in the digital economy: problems and prospects]. Trudy nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii s mezhdunarodnym uchastiem [Proc. of the Scientific Conference with International Participation]. Ed. by A.V. Babkina. Sankt-Peterburg, Sankt-Peterburgskiy politekhnicheskiy universitet Petra Velikogo Publ., 2017. 699 p. (In Russian)
8. Promyshlennaya politika v epokhu tsifrovoy transformatsii ekonomiki [The industrial policy of the age of digital transformation of economy]. Ed. by S.A. Tolkachev. Moscow, KNORUS Publ., 2018. 204 p. (In Russian)
9. Simachev Yu., Kuzyk M., Kuznetsov B., Pogrebnyak Ye. Rossiya na puti k novoy tekhnologicheskoy promyshlennoy politike: sredi manyashchikh perspektiv i fatalnykh lovushek [Russia is on the way to the new technological industrial policy: alluring prospects and fatal traps]. Forsayt, 2014, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 6-23 (in Russian).
10. Tambovtsev V.L. Promyshlennaya politika: k novomu ponimaniyu [Industrial policy: to the new understanding]. Izvestiya Uralskogo gosudarstvennogo ekonomicheskogo universiteta – Izvestiya of Ural State University of Economics, 2017, no. 5 (73), pp. 55-67 (in Russian).