Elena P. Koudryavtseva – Doctor of Historical Sciences, leading research worker in department «Russia in international relations» in the Institute of Russian History of The Russian Academy of Sciences. 117036, Moscow, ul. Dm. Ulianova, 19. E-mail: email@example.com.
The First Russian consulates in Western China were established in 1851. Russian representatives I. Zakharov and A. Tatarinov arrived in Kulja and Chuguchak in early 1852. Numerous reports of the Russian consuls to the Asian Department of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs contain highly interesting material concerning the first diplomatic contacts between Russia and China. None of the documents from the Archive of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs were used by national historians, they only mentioned the fact, that according to the Treaty of Kulja Chinese cities Yili and Tarbagatai hosted Russian representatives that looked after trade. Documents from the Archive of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs doreveal how the first Russian consuls arranged Russian factories in Xinjiang, how they interacted with local authorities and traders, course of barter. Establishment of the first Russian consulates was essential for the further development of diplomatic relations: in 1858 China opened 7 seaports for Russian traders, in 1861 the first Russian diplomatic representative was appointed to China. Isolationism that China adhered to was left behind to promote fullscale diplomatic relations. Russian consulates were the first diplomatic missions in the Qing China and played a big role in the development of the Russian-Chinese relations.
Key words: Russian-Chinese relations, Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, consular service, Russian Orthodox Ecclesiastical Mission in Beijing.
1. Antonov N. K istorii zaklyucheniya russko-kitayskogo dogovora 1851 g. v Kuldzhe [To the history of the conclusion of the Russian-Chinese treaty of 1851 in Kuldja]. Dokumenty oprovergayut. Protiv falsifikatsii istorii russkokitayskikh otnosheniy [Documents are refuted. Against the falsification of the history of Russian-Chinese relations]. Moscow, Mysl Publ., 1982. Pp. 148-165. (In Russian).
2. Bugrova M.S. «Otkrytie» Kitaya i britanskaya «neofitsialnaya» diplomatiya vo vtoroy polovine XIX veka [“Discovery” of China and British “unofficial” diplomacy in the second half of the XIX century]. V Pyat vekov mirovoy istorii [Five Centuries of World History]. Issue. 1. St. Petersburg, Gelikon Plyus Publ., 2007. Pp. 65–72. (In Russian).
3. Gorbacheva K.A. Rossiyskaya pravoslavnaya dukhovnaya missiya v Kitae v 1820–1930-e gody [Russian Orthodox spiritual mission in China in the 1820s- 1930s]. Novaya i noveyshaya istoriya, 2017, no. 1, pp. 147–161. (In Russian).
4. Gurevich B.P. Mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya v Tsentralnoy Azii v XVII–pervoy polovine XIX v [International relations in Central Asia in the XVII-first half of the XIX century]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1983. 311 p. (In Russian).
5. Martens F.F. Rossiya i Kitay [Russia and China]. St. Petersburg, tipografiya I. Gabrmana, 1881. 50 p. (In Russian).
6. Kudryavtseva Ye.P., Ponomarev V.N. Diplomatiya i MID Rossii vo vtoroy chetverti XIX v. [Diplomacy and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Russia in the second quarter of the XIX century]. Ocherki istorii ministerstva inostrannykh del Rossii [Essays on the history of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Russia]. T. I. Moscow, OLMA-Press Publ., 2002. Pp. 290-351. (In Russian).
7. Myasnikov V.S. Istoriko-kulturnye osobennosti ekonomicheskogo vzaimodeystviya Rossii s Kitaem [Historical and cultural features of economic interaction between Russia and China]. Rossiya vo vneshneekonomicheskikh otnosheniyakh: uroki istorii i sovremennost [Russia in foreign economic relations: lessons of history and modernity]. Moscow, INION RAN Publ., 1993. Pp. 106– 107. (In Russian).
8. Myasnikov V.S., Popova I.F. Vklad o. Iakinfa v mirovuyu sinologiyu [Contribution of. Iakinfa in world sinology]. Vestnik Rossiyskoy akademii nauk [Bulletin of the Russian Academy of Sciences], 2002, no. 12, pp. 1099–1105. (In Russian).
9. Myasnikov V.S. Mezhgosudarstvennye otnosheniya Rossii s Kitaem kak forma mezhtsivilizatsionnogo kontakta [Interstate relations of Russia with China as a form of intercivilizational contact]. Tsivilizatsiya i kultura [Civilization and culture]. Vyp. 2. Rossiya i Vostok: tsivilizatsionnye otnosheniya [Issue. 2. Russia and the East: Civilizational Relations]. Moscow, Institut vostokovedeniya AN RF Publ., 1995. Pp. 215–233. (In Russian).
10. Peskova G.N., Glushakova O.A. Arkhiv vneshney politiki Rossiyskoy imperii [Archive of foreign policy of the Russian Empire]. Pravoslavie i rossiyskoe gosudarstvo X–XX veka. Katalog istoriko-do kumentalnoy vystavki [Orthodoxy and the Russian state of the X-XX century. Catalog of the historical and documentary exhibition]. Moscow, Pinakoteka Publ., 2000. Pp. 55-57. (In Russian).
11. Russko-kitayskie otnosheniya. 1689– 1916. Ofitsialnye dokumenty [Russian- Chinese relations. 1689-1916. Official documents]. Moscow, Izdatelstvo vostochnoy literatury Publ., 1958. 142 p. (In Russian).
12. Sladkovskiy M.I. Otnosheniya mezhdu Rossiey i Kitaem v seredine XIX v. [Relations between Russia and China in the middle of the XIX century]. Novaya i noveyshaya istoriya, 1975, no. 3, pp. 55– 64. (In Russian).
13. Khokhlov A.N. Kyakhtinskaya torgovlya i ee mesto v politike Rossii i Kitaya (20-e gody XVIII–50-e gody XIX v.) [Kyakhta trade and its place in the politics of Russia and China (20’s 18th-50th years of the XIX century)]. Dokumenty oprovergayut. Protiv falsifikatsii istorii russkokitayskikh otnosheniy [Documents are refuted. Against the falsification of the history of Russian-Chinese relations]. Moscow, Mysl Publ., 1982. Pp. 99-148. (In Russian).