Contemporary Russian Policy in The Middle East: Strategic Goals and Tactic Actions
Oleg A. Kolobov – Doctor of Science Historical, Professor at the World diplomacy and international law Department, Nizhny Novgorod state University by name N.I.Lobachevsky. 603005, the Russian Federation, Hijnij Nivgorod, Ulj’anov street, 2. Е-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The article analyzes the features of the situation in the Middle East in the modern world. Special emphasis is placed on consideration of the peculiarities of the perception of the region by representatives of the great powers in historical retrospect. To put these peculiarities objectively, the author uses comparative and historical-descriptive methods.
The article also reveals specific causes and consequences of the strategic interest of the great powers towards the Middle East. Later the author explains the possibilities of a new approach to the region on the part of modern Russia and presents the analysis of archival materials shedding light on the actions of the great powers in relation to the Middle East in retrospect and in the near future. This allows to consider a new Concept of Russia’s foreign policy and the possibility of its implementation in the Greater Middle East in the foreseeable future. The article describes new technologies of political actions of the Russian Federation in the Middle East region, taking into account the factor of peacemaking and the creation of normal living conditions for the countries and peoples of the Greater Middle East. The specific peacekeeping efforts of the Russian Federation are compared with the policies of other great powers in the region. This allow to forge the assessment of the broad interpretation of the Greater Middle East in contemporary world politics. Furthermore, an attempt is made to clearly define strategic goals and characterize the patterns of tactical actions of the Russian government within the entire Middle East territory. This preconditions the need to expand the Russian presence not only in the Greater Middle East as well as in other turbulent zones. The article underlines the importance of consistency in the actions of effective crisis diplomacy and multilateral cooperation of the Russian Federation in the region and throughout the world.
Key words: foreign policy, strategies, geopolitics, tactics, Russian presence, conflict, Great Near East.
1. Biriukov E.S. Etapy i instrumenty vneshnei politiki SShA na Blizhnem Vostoke [Stages and tools of US foreign policy in the Middle East]. Mezhdunarodnaia zhizn’, 2016, no. 11, pp. 85-104. (In Russian)
2. Kasatkin P.I., Ivkina N.V. Lichnost’ prezidenta kak faktor formirovaniia vneshnepoliticheskoi povestki dnia SShA (nekotorye itogi prezidentstva B. Obamy) [President’s personality as factor of US foreign policy formation (some results of B. Obama presidency]. Polis. Politicheskie issledovaniia, 2017, no. 1, pp. 125-135. (In Russian)
3. Kolobov O.A. Soedinennye Shtaty Ameriki i problema Palestiny [The United States of America and the problem f Palestine]. Nizhnij Novgorod, Izdatel’stvo Nizhegorodskogo universiteta Publ.,1993. 223 p. (In Russian)
4. Kurbanov M.A. SShA i Blizhnii Vostok: maskirovka starykh idei ili novyi kurs? [The USA and the Middle East: masking of old ideas or new course]. SShA i Kanada: ekonomika, politika, kul’tura, 2013, no. 10 (526), pp. 67-78. (In Russian)
5. Loshkarev I.D. Resursy etnicheskogo lobbizma vo vneshnei politike SShA: teoreticheskie aspekty [Resources of ethnic lobbying in the US foreign policy: thepretical aspects]. Mirovaia ekonomika i mezhdunarodnye otnosheniia, 2017, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 76-83. (In Russian)
6. Primakov E.M. Blizhnii Vostok: dal’neishaia militarizatsiia politiki SShA [The Middle East: further militarization of US policy]. Svobodnaia mysl’, 2010, no. 6 (1613), pp. 137-150. (In Russian)
7. Suslov D.V. Politika SShA po upravleniiu «rasshirennym» Blizhnim Vostokom [US policy on governing the enlarged Middle East]. SShA i Kanada: ekonomika, politika, kul’tura, 2005, no. 4, pp. 72-89. (In Russian)
8. Tarbaev S.A. Politika SShA na Blizhnem Vostoke pri Dzhordzhe Bushe [US policy towards the Middle East under George Bush]. Vestnik Rossiiskogo universiteta druzhby narodov. Seriia: Mezhdunarodnye otnosheniia [PFUR Review. International relations], 2009, no. 2, pp. 71-78. (In Russian)
9. Shumilin A.I. Politika SShA na Blizhnem Vostoke v kontekste “Arabskoi vesny” [US policy towards the Middle East in the context of the Arab spring]. Moscow,
Mezhdunarodnye otnosheniia Publ., 2015. 336 p. (In Russian)
10. Hunter R.E. US Interests and the Use of Force in the Middle East. The International Spectator, 2015, vol. 50, no. 4, рр. 95-112.
11. Karim W.J. Stratagems and Spoils in US Policy in the Middle East. Globalizations, 2011, vol. 8, pp. 601-607.
12. Mady A.‐F. American foreign policy and peace in the Middle East. Contemporary Arab Affairs, 2010, vol. 3, no. 3, рр. 271-296.
13. Simón L. Seapower and US Forward Presence in the Middle East: Retrenchment in Perspective. Geopolitics, 2016, vol. 21, no. 1, рр. 115-147.
14. Telhami S. The Stakes: America in the Middle East: The Consequences of Power and the Choice for Peace. Boulder CO, Westview Press, 2004. 214 p.
15. Terry J.J. US Foreign Policy in the Middle East: The Role of Lobbies and Special Interest Groups. London, Pluto Press Publ., 2005. 176 p.