Collateral Determinants in Bank Risk Management: The Regional Case
Alexander M. Karminsky – Doctor of Science (Economics, Technics), Professor in Department of economics, Higher School of Economics. Moscow, 20 Myasnitskaya ul., 101000. Е-mail: email@example.com
Olga D. Khon – Senior lecturer in Department of finance, HSE St. Petersburg, St. Petersburg, 16, Soyuza Pechatnikov str., 191021. Е-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Regional banks are struggling with significant obstacles in the modern Russian economy. Among them are strong competition with major big banks, strong resource restrictions, tightening the Bank of Russia’s requirements, and quite rapid expansion of financial technologies. Thus, the reduction of regional banks occurs, that produces both a negative impact on the development of small and medium enterprises (SMEs) and challenges for balanced competition on the Russian market. Basically, these banks provide the settlement of region’s social and economic problems while maintaining local companies and enterprises. Collateral, as a source for losses covering, became the essential element of credit risk management in banks. Providing lenders to implement such instruments, it helps to reduce bank losses under borrower’s default. The purpose of the article relates to revealing of collateral determinants with higher impact on bank risk with the application of empirical methods (including regional level). This study is based on linear regression models evaluated by the least square method. Private data of secured small and medium business loans is used. This article presents LTV (loan-to-value) as a major collateral determinant. The empirical evidence of interlinkage between collateral requirements, by the means of LTV, and risk premium is provided for loan portfolio of Russian regional banks. The hypothesis that LTV conversely correlates with risk premium is statistically proved.
Key words: collateral, credit risk, regional banks, probability of default, default of borrower, loan-tovalue.
1. Bankovskoe delo [Banking]. LavrushinO.I., Valenceva N.I. Ed. by O.I. Lavrushina. 12th ed. Moscow, KNORUS Publ., 2016. 800 p. (In Russian).
2. Bankovskie riski [Bank risks]. Ed. by O.I. Lavrushina, N.I. Valencevoi. 3d ed. Moscow, KNORUS Publ., 2013. 296 p. (In Russian).
3. Beloglazova G.N. Strategiya razvitiya regionalnogo segmenta bankovskoi systemy [The strategy of development of banking system’s regional sector]. Bankovskoe delo, 2011, no. 2, pp. 28–21 (in Russian).
4. Gorelaia N.V. Organizaciia kreditovaniia v kommercheskom banke. [The organisation of loan process in commercial banks]. Moscow, FORUM— INFRAMPubl., 2012. 208 p. (In Russian).
5. Gorelaia N.V. Sistema strahovaniia vkladov i ee vliianie na riski, prinimaemye rossiiskimi bankami [Deposit insurance system and its impact on risks of Russian banks]. Den’gi i kredit, 2015,no. 5, pp.44– 51 (in Russian).
6. Karminski, A.M. Kreditnye reitingi i ikh modelirovanie [Сredit raitings and its simulation]. Moscow,Vysshaia shkola ekonomiki Publ., 2015. 304 p. (In Russian).
7. Karminsky A.M., Kiseliov V.Yu. Postroenie dinamicheskikh indikatorov bankovskogo biznesa [The construction of dynamic indicators for bank business]. Nacional’nye interesy: prioritety i bezopasnost’, 2014,no. 15, pp. 45–52 (in Russian).
8. Karminski A.M., Lozinskaia A.M., Ozhegov E.M. Metody ocenki poter’ kreditora pri ipotechnom zhilishhnom kreditovani [Evaluation methods of lender losses for housing mortgage]. Ekonomicheskii zhurnal VShe, 2016, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 9–51 (in Russian).
9. Karpenko V.P., Sluckii A.A. Otsenka zalogov pri kreditovanii: nekotorye problemy i puti ikh resheniia [Collateral evaluation in loans: Few obstacles and its solutions]. Den’gi i kredit, 2012,no. 1, pp. 58-67 (in Russian).
10. Leonov M.V. Regional’nye banki v bankovskoi sisteme Rossii [Regional banks in Russian banking system]. Prostranstvennaia ekonomika, 2015,no.2, pp. 116–131(in Russian).
11. Musaev R.A., Kleshko D.V. Regional’nye banki: sostoinie i tenedentsii razvitiia [Regional banks, its state and development tendencies]. Den’gi i kredit, 2016, no. 6, pp. 58–63 (in Russian).
12. Osnovy bankovskogo dela [The foundation of banking]. N.V. Gorelaia, A.M. Karminski. Ed. by A.M. Karminski. Moscow, FORUM - INFRA-M, 2017. 272 p. (In Russian).
13. Otsenka dlia tselei zaloga: teoriia, praktika, rekomendatsii [Appraisal for collateral: Theory, practice and recommendations]. M.A. Fedotova, V.Ju. Roslov, O.N. Shherbakova, A.I. Myshanov. Moscow, Finansy i statistika Publ., 2008. 384 p. (In Russian).
14. Peshehonov M.S. Rabota kreditnyh organizacij s zalogovym imushhestvom. [Credit organizations’ functioning with collateral assets]. Bankovskoe delo, 2011,no. 11, pp. 66-69 (in Russian).
15. Pozdyshev V.A. Bankovskoe regulirovanie v 2016–2017 godakh: osnovnye izmeneniia i perspektivi razvitiia [Bank regulation in 2016-2017: major changes and trends]. Den’gi i kredit, 2017,no. 1, pp. 9-17 (in Russian).
16. Pomorina M.A., Valenceva N.I. Nuzhny li rossiiskoi ekonomike regional’nye banki? [Does Russian economy need regional banks?]. Bankovskoe delo, 2011, no. 2, pp. 21–27 (in Russian).
17. Risk-menedzhment v kommercheskom banke [Risk management in commercial bank]. Ed. by I.V. Larionova. Moscow, KNORUS Publ., 2016. 456 p. (In Russian).
18. Sluckii A.A. Otsenka zalogovogo imushhestva: problemy stoimosti [Collateral appraisal: challenges of the value]. Bankovskoe kreditovanie, 2010,no. 2 (in Russian).
19. Spitsin S.F., Ludanov O.V. O principakh regulirovaniia mezhbankovskogo rinka v usloviiakh nestabil’nosti [About principles of interbank market under uncertain ty]. Den’gi i kredit, 2008, no. 6, pp. 42–48 (in Russian).
20. Tavasiev A.M., Kuchinskii K.A. Ipotechnaia sek’iuritizatsiia – uroki proshlogo i perspektivi [Mortgage securitization: lessons of the past and future perscpectives]. Den’gi i kredit, 2010, no. 12, pp. 16–23. (In Russian).
21. Berger A.N., Frame W., Ioannidou V. Reexamining the empirical relation between loan risk and collateral: The roles of collateral liquidity and types. Journal of Financial Intermediation, 2016, vol. 26, pp. 28-46.
22. Case, K.E., Shiller, R.J. Mortgage Default Risk and Real Estate Prices: The Use of Index-Based Futures and Options in Real Estate. Journal of Housing Research, 1996, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 243–258.
23. Das S.R., Meadows R. Strategic loan modification: An options-based response to strategic default. Journal of Banking and Finance, 2013, vol. 37, iss. 2, pp. 636–647.
24. Epley D.R., Liano K., Haney R. Borrower Risk Signaling Using Loan-to-Value Ratios. The Journal of Real Estate Research, 1996,vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 71–86.
25. Fabozzi F.J., Modigliani F., Jones F.J. Foundations of Financial Markets and Institutions, 4th ed., Pearson Education Limited, 2014. 663 p.
26. Floros I., White J.T. Qualified residential mortgages and default risk. Journal of Banking and Finance, 2016, vol. 70, pp. 86–104.
27. Grovenstein R.A., Harding J.P., Sirmans C.F., Thebpania S., Turnbull G.K. Commercial mortgage underwriting: How well do lenders manage the risks? Journal of Housing Economics, 2005, vol. 14, iss. 4, pp. 355–383.
28. Iacoviello M. House Prices, Borrowing Constraints, and Monetary Policy in the Business Cycle. The American Economic Review, 2005, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 739–764.
29. Jiménez G., Lopez J.A., Saurina J. How does competition affect bank risk-taking? Journal of Financial Stability, 2013, vol. 9, iss. 2, pp. 185–195.
30. Jung H., Lee J. The effects of macroprudential policies on house prices: Evidence from an event study using Korean real transaction data. Journal of Financial Stability, 2017, no. 31, pp. 167–185.
31. Koulafetis P. Modern Credit Risk Management: Theory and Practice. Springer Nature, 2017.234 p. DOI: 10.1057/978-1- 137-52407-2.
32. Luo P., Wang H., Yang Z. Investment and financing for SMEs with a partial guarantee and jump risk. European Journal of Operational Research, 2016, vol. 249. Iss. 3, pp. 1161–1168.
33. Mishkin S.F. The Economics of Money, Banking and Financial Markets. 11th ed., Pearson Education Limited, 2016. 784 p.
34. McClatchey C.A., de la Torre C. The Intended and Unintended Effects of Dodd- Frank on Mortgage Broker Compensation. Journal of Real Estate Practice and Education, 2013, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 141–160.
35. Mencía J. Assessing the risk-return tradeoff in loan portfolios. Journal of Banking and Finance, 2012, vol.
36, iss. 6, pp. 1665–1677. 36. Park Y.W., Bang D.W. Loss given default of residential mortgages in a low LTV regime: Role of foreclosure auction process and housing market cycles. Journal of Banking and Finance, 2013, no. 39, pp. 192–210.
37. Stiglitz J., Weiss A. Credit rationing in markets with imperfect information. American Economic Review, 1981, no. 71, pp. 393–410.
38. Qi M., Yang X. Loss given default of high loan-to-value residential mortgages. Journal of Banking and Finance, 2009, vol. 33, iss. 5, pp. 788–799.